Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pre-Natal Class Starting a Week from Monday

I signed up for it about a month ago. It's offered through the city- you tell them your address and they figure out what district you're in and send you to the nearest center around your 32nd week of pregnancy (they called me this morning to tell me where mine is. I was at the bus stop and had to ask her to hold on so I could find a scrap of paper and a pen to write it on-- so much for the convenience of cell phones). Mine starts on September 7 at 9am (I thought she was joking of course-- what about work?? I thought for sure they did these things after like 6pm...WRONG!). 

Here are the rules:

1. Wear something comfortable. I have a mu-mu from Senegal that I sleep in, but I'm not wearing that. I'm going to have to get creative here, as NOTHING to me is particularly comfortable other than my skivvies right now, and even those aren't THAT comfortable. 

2. Wear non-stick socks. Where do you get THOSE? I thought only babies wore them, and maybe hospital patients? I'm going to have to use my networking skills AND thinking cap for this one! 

3. Meetings are once a week for 8 weeks. That will bring me up to 40. How cruel. If Sugar comes early, I might miss one. I don't like that idea. I want to get the most out of my (40%) taxes!! 

4. Men are included in ONE session (doesn't that seem like not enough?? I mean, what's that all about? Maybe you're supposed to have more time with other soon-to-be moms so you can get down to the nitty gritty? I don't get it).

I'll let you know how it goes. For now, here is my prayer that I will repeat many times in the meantime. 

Dear God, 

Please don't make us watch a video of a birth like Alessandra said she had to in her prenatal class. 
Please don't make us watch a video of a birth like Alessandra said she had to in her prenatal class. Please don't make us watch a video of a birth like Alessandra said she had to in her prenatal class. Please don't make us watch a video of a birth like Alessandra said she had to in her prenatal class. Please don't make us watch a video of a birth like Alessandra said she had to in her prenatal class. Please don't make us watch a video of a birth like Alessandra said she had to in her prenatal class. Please don't make us watch a video of a birth like Alessandra said she had to in her prenatal class. Please don't make us watch a video of a birth like Alessandra said she had to in her prenatal class. 

I just don't think I could handle that. 

AMEN. 

6 comments:

  1. Who is Alessandra? Unless she witnessed the birth of an elephant, I don't think you have much to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She doesn't live in Trieste but she said they made her class watch a video of a human birth and it got all the almost-moms totally freaked out. I'll pass...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we had to watch that video and it was a bit of a shocker...I recall lots of "oooohhhhhssssss" at the actual MOMENT. I only recall that because I had my eyes closed and could only listen.

    How funny is it that Cristian only comes to one session!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was pretty disappointed, really...

    ReplyDelete
  5. why not share your concern about Cristian being present at the classes? Maybe it is uncommon in Italy and, perhaps, he might be able to participate, too...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I asked. Not included. They can only come once. But I will definitely ask why when I start. I will also ask why I have to wear non-stick socks instead of just going barefoot.

    ReplyDelete