Saturday, September 11, 2010

Prenatal class for suckers

Before eating sushi (the grand event) with Raqel yesterday, we went to a baby course at Pre-Natal, which is one of those baby stores that sells everything you could possibly ever need (for real) or think you need pre and post birth. I was expecting it to be like a tupperware party where they immediately give you an order form and shake you down to buy self-warming baby bottles and the like, but it wasn't like that at all. They did make you fill out a form to get their card, which is like your standard grocery store card for discounts and things, but I suppose that's normal. The woman who made me fill out the form couldn't BELIEVE that I checked the box that said not to send me or email me any of their info or sales stuff. She was so surprised that she took a minute to explain to me what I was going to be missing out on (spam and junk mail).

Obviously the Pre-natal marketing people are MUCH smarter than I thought. They actually have an intelligent and personable woman with some training (as in University classes, not just Pre-natal training)  who goes around to all of their stores teaching a 2 hour class on various things like safety during baby transport, baby massage, baby psychology, renting breast pumps, etc. It was pretty interesting.

But 2 hours is a long time to sit without a potty break, and there was no good way to get up in the middle of the talk and go find the bathroom, so the 15 or so bellies were getting fidgety towards the end, then when it was finally over, we all made a bee-line for the (one) bathroom downstairs.

By the time we finished (I actually opted to go at the place we had lunch just because I felt the need to get out of there after Raqel, the last person in line, was done) the store closed for lunch, so I don't think any of the girls bought anything.

But the experience was pretty good, so I'm sure Pre-natal will get its money's worth anyway when we return with our husbands to buy all of those creams and thermal bags and baby backpacks and all the other stuff we learned that we won't be able to live without...

4 comments:

  1. That sounds really cool! Where is this place?
    Get all the info you can. Even if you feel it is not helpful NOW, perhaps
    after Sugar debuts, you may have a need and remember that
    afternoon at PreNatal!
    It really sounds like a fun time...with the exception of the ONE potty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe...oh, the stuff they try to tell you that you will need! Smart mom -- you've already got them figured out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! only 41 days till Sugar's debut! Can you believe it!!!!
    I hope all is well and you are feeling good.
    Things are rather sad here because of Heather's dad.
    The upcoming arrival of Sugar definitely helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on this topic.
    pizza delivery bag

    ReplyDelete