Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Pre-natal class with the daddies

Yesterday the boys finally got to come and sit with us on our paper-thin exercise mats on the hardwood (emphasis on HARD) floor for two hours. The first thing they all did was take a pillow, or a hunk of wall to lean up against-- their fussing cracked me up while the rest of the bellies looked so comfortable (except for me) just sitting cross-legged in the middle of their mats.

The happiest dad in the room was, you guessed it, Sugar's. When it was his turn to introduce himself, while the others were like "yeah, like my name is Fred and well, that's about it..." he said his name, that this was his first child and that he was very curious to know EVERYTHING there was to learn in this class. And boy, was he ever. He asked LOTS of questions, and took notes. So did the dad next to us. BTW, the wife, whose name is MITA and is in one of the pictures of when we went to visit the hospital (girl on the left in the first picture) immediately recognized Sweetie by HIS NOSE. She doesn't remember ever meeting him, but realized that they were probably (and are) distant cousins because of his unmistakable honker.

So sweetie got the lo-down on water breaking, back massaging, bathing the b.o.j., etc. I asked him afterwards what his favorite part of the class was, and his answer was "EVERYTHING!"

9 comments:

  1. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY COOL!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE THE DADS ARE NOT MORE INVOLVED, AND INCLUDED, IN THIS.
    I CAN PICTURE CRISTIAN TAKING NOTES AND STORING ALL THE INFO IN HIS MIND!
    THAT LITTLE SUGAR LUMP IS A LUCKY LITTLE PERSON!
    THANKS FOR THE CUTE UPDATE!
    GRANDMA MAG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, still smiling. Wider than last post, even. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. too funny....it'll be funny for him to go back and reread his notes in a few months...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up with my head being cut off my profile pic??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kari...yay to C! Two thumbs up. I'm glad he's so interested. Do you think it's a cultural difference, or just a "personal" difference? I'm very curious to hear your answer!

    Sure, there are dads in the States who are involved, but I don't know to what extent. My girlfriend Jo is due in 2 months, and she is planning a birth with a midwife. She is doing something called the "Bradley method," which involves the spouses -- they go to class with the women once a week for 12 weeks, and they learn how to assist the midwife. So, much more involved than "Breathe, honey!"

    Jo's poor husband is not sure how he feels about all of this, so I'm interested to hear your take on the dad's involvement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bad Hippie. Gosh. Good question. I'm not sure if it's cultural or not, but it's definitely PERSONAL!! I'll have to look up info on that method you're talking about. Here they don't teach you anything about breathing. I'm going to have to do some research...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breathing is just the old-school Lamaze stuff. Short lesson to that: DO NOT breathe in while you're pushing. At the risk of being graphic, it sucks the baby back in. Take a deep breath, hold it, and push -- or breath out slowly as you're pushing.

    My friend Jo is "just" 30, so she's going with the midwife and the hippie birthing center + water birth. I envy her, especially since I'm in the "advanced maternal age -- my god you need drugs! And intervention!" category now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, that is so sweet! not surprising but very, very sweet. So... how are you doing? 24 ish days to go?
    We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete