Monday, May 24, 2010

My Doctor High Fived Me Today...

...When he saw that my weight had not changed since I got pregnant. Well, it did go down during the first trimester because I was sick all of the time. But other than that it's been pretty static. I was a little startled at his reaction. One, because he's not a "high-fiving" type, and B, because I've been reading these American pregnancy guides that have you thinking you're dissing the fetus UNLESS you pack on the pounds.

Here are some examples:

"Now, as you know, women are having babies in their late twenties, their late thirties, and even into their forties. We're coming in older and heavier, and we're packing weight in proportion to our age! Good news: The doctors (lots more of them are women, now, too!) and books say gaining twenty-fve to thirty-five pounds is normal nowadays. But I've done a little research myself, and I think those books and experts are even a little off. Most women I've talked to gained about fifty pounds. Sure, there are are annoying exceptions, but I swear most were in the fifty zone. Even my doctor said fifty was pretty normal. Of course, I surpassed this new normal by ten pounds, but you get what I'm saying. Maybe Mother doesn't always know best, you know?" 

Jenny McCarthy in Belly Laughs
This was the chapter she was complaining about how Boomers (including her mom) had stricter weight gain rules when they were preggers. 

Here's another one from a different book:

"By the way, you might be as secretly gratified as I was to notice that women who are what I call 'professionally thin' - meaning they have to be skinny- often really pack on the pounds during pregnancy. I'm talking sixty to seventy pounds for some of the most svelte women you have ever seen on television or in magazines."

and 

"My girlfriend Shannon, who is a gorgeous actress, started each pregnant day with eggs, bacon and so much white toast that she would go through a loaf every other day. She just had a fabulous time, and after the baby was born, she dieted and worked out until she was thin and fit and even more beautiful than she had been before. That is precisely what the other beauties have done, and you can, too, so go ahead and EAT. Heck, you might as well; you can't get drunk, you can't slink around in a sexy black minidress, you can't even take medicine when you are suffering from a cold. What other joys are there for pregnant women?"

Vicki Iovine in The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy
BTW she also calls pregnancy a great excuse not to exercise (You're gonna get fat anyway!) and says it's okay to dye your hair if you can't face the gray. 

and here's another one.

"Fortunately, nature offers some protection for the babies of mothers who are too queasy to eat well during the first trimester: the fetus's need for calories and certain nutrients during this time is not as great as it will be later, so not gaining early on isn't likely to have an effect. But not gaining weight from here on in can have an effect- a significant one- because calories and nutrients will be more and more in demand as your baby-making factory picks up steam. So don't worry, but do eat. And start watching your weight carefully to make sure it begins to move upward at a satisfactory rate..."

Heidi Murkoff, Arlene Eisenberg & Sandee Hathaway in What to Expect When You're Expecting

So, I told my doctor all of this and here is what he said. 

"Um, excuse me, but are you really going to the Americans for advice on weight gain?" I guess he has a point there. 



6 comments:

  1. Hey Coz! I'm gonna agree with your Dr on this one! Believe me, the less weight you need to lose post-birth, the happier (and healthier) you will be. You are doing so awesome-I'm so happy for you and Christian! Love the blog, makes my day :)

    xxx Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, stop reading those pregnancy books, they are the ones that many of on this side of the pond (who were over 30) Seriously, Jenny McCArthy on pregnancy...not so much.

    I agree with Kate, it sucks to take it off after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That helps put my paranoia to rest. Thanks, girls. Let's hope I can keep being good. It's gelato season and I don't know if I can hold out (meaning, stick to one or two a week) all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read an article in a mag that said you only need to eat within the normal calorie intake requirements during the first trimester...and you only need an additional 425 calories during the second trimester. 425 calories equals 1 apple plus one yogurt.

    WTF? And why did I want twinkies when I was pregnant? I think a man wrote that article. :)

    That being said, they have actually changed the weight gain allowances - again. It's closer to 20 pounds now. Doesn't explain why I gained 50, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never would have thought that 425 calories was a yogurt and a lousy apple! I was thinking more like AT LEAST a few twinkies!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Told ya...a man set up those guidelines. A man who has never, ever had a Sugarbaby sitting on his bladder while simultaneously demanding really odd things you never thought you'd eat - like twinkies. :)

    Holla if you want some shipped over to you. :)

    ReplyDelete